Antique Pitcher, Maddock's Lamberton Works Royal Porcelain Jug -J
Antique Pitcher, Maddock's Lamberton Works Royal Porcelain Jug, Made in the USA
Mid-sized porcelain pitcher with a fancy handle and embossed edges. Measures, 6.5" tall 7.75" handle to spout.
Beautiful older piece in good condition. No cracks or chips. The spatter gilt rims are worn, tho this is common is a piece this old.
A bit of history...
Maddock's Lamberton Works, Royal Porcelain Replacement Tableware made in Trenton NJ.
The Lamberton Works first opened in 1869 by three local Quaker businessmen. The pottery was located along Third Street between Landing St. and Lalor St., in the Lamberton section of Trenton. In 1888, Thomas Maddock purchased the pottery, renamed it the Lamberton Works, to continue production while his main plant (a portion of which is now the Rescue Mission building at Perry and Carroll Sts.) was rebuilt after a devastating fire. Then, in 1923, one-time Maddock office boy D. William Scammell purchased, along with his five brothers, the plant and the ongoing china business from the Maddocks, which the Scammells ran successfully until D. William passed on in 1952. Largely abandoned after the Scammell China Company closed in 1954, what remained of the old factory was burnt down by vandals in 1972. The Lamberton name lived on well into the 1990s through a line of china manufactured by the Sterling China Company of Wellsville, Ohio which purchased the equipment and ongoing contracts of the Lamberton Works in 1954.